Thursday, January 29, 2009

CPSIA

*EDIT: There has been a 1 year stay on the law while lawmakers work out the kinks. This doesn't mean, however, that we're in the clear! Small crafters still need your help to make sure the revisions and "clarifications" will allow them to keep making safe toys and clothing. Please continue to contact your representatives! For now, I will continue to sell baby items*

Due to the new law going into effect on February 10, I will no longer be selling baby items through my website. I, like many other home-based businesses, will not be able to afford the thousands of dollars required to test EACH item prior to offering it for sale. Because every one of my baby items are one-of-a-kind (OOAK), the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) requires that each new item and its various components be tested by an third-party lab. Under the guise of protecting our children from harmful lead and pthalates, Congress is enforcing the belief that ALL children's items are toxic until proven otherwise. You didn't know there was lead in fabric & thread? That's because there isn't any. The CPSIA is an absurd & over-reaching law. If you like handmade toys & other children's products, made in the U.S.A. by small businesses that care about toy safety, please let your voice be heard! Contact your reps today to ask for their support in getting the CPSIA amended!

5 comments:

Emily Petty said...

Hi Nicole! Congrats on getting your business started - you always make beautiful things. I read about this law on another website - how ridiculous - I will see what I can do to help! Hope you guys are well! I managed to carve out a little craft space for myself in our small German apt., but I've yet to actually use it!

Carrie said...

Nicole, You cracked me up with your comment on my blog....Of course yours is better than mine! You even called yourself a clean/neat freak (well maybe not in those exact words!), but you know what I mean :o) I was going to ask you to help me!

Nicole said...

Thanks Emily! :-) I was having so much fun using the machine that I thought I might as well use it to my advantage! Isn't that new law horrible? Other than writing Representatives and signing every petition out there, there's not a whole lot small businesses can do now other than pray and wait. You should definitely use your craft space!! Even if it is small, it's all yours. I'd love to see some things you make!

Nicole said...

Carrie, I will help you with your stash any day! All you have to do is give me the name of someone who quilts finished tops. :-P While I am a clean/neat freak, the one place I can't seem to get organized the way I want it is the sewing area! LOL! Go figure. I can use all the tips I can get!

I have tried to stay away from quilting, to no avail. I rescued a quilt top from a neighbor at her yard sale that she painstakingly hand-appliqued. She was downsizing her hobbies. I couldn't bear to see all her hard work go to waste so I bought it (for $10!). Maybe you'd know what to do with it? It's taking up precious room amongst my fabric piles, preventing me from stashing more fabric. :-( Alan is probably secretly cheering...

Carrie said...

Nicole,

It's nice to know that even the most organized people have their weak areas too :o) What a lucky girl to find a hand appliqued quilt top at that price! Do you want your quilt hand or machine quilted? I'll bet you could find a woman up in Lancaster to hand quilt if that is what you want.